Monday, August 25, 2008

It's All About Shutter Speed

These two images are posted without enhancements. They were taken two weeks ago in Florida right after two days of rain, so there was still plenty of breeze. I wanted to catch the breeze on the sea oats, and to do that I needed to slow the shutter speed. Both images were taken around 7:30 in the evening, and as usual, I didn't have the tripod.

The shutter speed on the first image was 0.3 seconds and the ISO was 800. The shutter speed was too fast to catch the movement of the sea oats in the breeze.



I like how this image caught the breeze. The shutter speed was 0.8 seconds, a little slower than the first one. The ISO was 400. With a slower shutter speed in this setting, the ISO of 800 let in too much light in which blew it out. I didn't waste your time by showing it.

Another lesson here. If I had taken the tripod to the beach that evening, I could have really, really slowed the shutter, and there would have been little or no camera shake. But I didn't and I can live with that. Now I just have to do some enhancements and it'll be ready to mat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like the first one ...with no blurhh..
second made me feel like my 40th bday party ..too much tequila