Wednesday, January 7, 2009

It's Not Black and White, It's Fog!

The fog was really thick the other day when I took these pictures. In the first one you can sort of see a red haze in the lower left-hand corner. Bet you're wondering what's up with that. Unless you live in my neighborhood you would never guess. It's a Walgreen's! Yep, right in our backyard. We are some kind of lucky- just a hop, skip, and a jump to the Advil! Fortunately, it's not open 24 hours.
I played with this one a little...worked on the shadows and highlights.

This was taken from the front yard. It looks like we live in the mountains, but it's the fog playing tricks and maybe a little tweaking with the composition.

I did saturate the color on the next one. I wanted to see if I could get the green in the pine trees to appear. It did. Finally.


The lesson learned here is this: on foggy days you can forget about color. You can get great black and white shots without desaturating. Good to know.

1 comment:

Patty said...

I knew instantly that it was Walgreen's! Just kidding! These pics are beautiful. I am so impressed with your photography skills, and I don't even know about shutter speed! One day I'll be able to say that I knew her when...
I'm being honest, you aren't my principal anymore, so there's no reason to lie!!!